As the coronavirus situation continues to evolve, we recognize the impact the virus is having on our customers, employees, and families, so we would like to take a moment to share “the good news”. As a technology leader with more than 30-years of experience, we have partnered with many of the world’s leading organizations, providing a secure and trusted platform to power mission-critical EH&S software, along with the 24/7 expertise of our technical support technicians.
We are especially humbled and honored to be working with four health sciences organizations that are in the forefront of the detection and vaccination of COVID-19, Roche Diagnostics, Gilead Sciences, Moderna and Verily Life Sciences. Their work and rapid progress have been extraordinary and we are grateful to all of them.
Recent Major Victories Against COVID-19
There have been A LOT of facts going around regarding COVID-19, and a flurry of “positive news” items to lift our spirits. Here are a number of major victories from the Pandemic line. I’ve had my team fact-check these wins with links you can follow up on.
- Vaccine development: An experimental vaccine developed by Moderna Inc. began the first stage of a clinical trial on Monday, with testing on 45 healthy adults in Seattle. link
- China’s new cases plummet: China has now closed down its last temporary hospital built to handle COVID-19. Not enough new cases to warrant them. link
- Drugs that work: Doctors in India have successfully treated two Italian patients with COVID-19, administering a combination of drugs — principally Lopinavir and Ritonavir, alongside Oseltamivir and Chloroquine. Several are now suggesting the same medical treatment, on a case-by-case basis, globally. link link
- Antibodies to the rescue: Researchers at the Erasmus Medical Center claim to have found an antibody that can fend off infection by COVID-19. link
- 103-year-old recovery: A 103-year-old Chinese woman has made a full recovery from COVID-19 after being treated for 6 days in Wuhan, China, becoming the oldest patient to beat the disease. link
- Stores re-opening: Apple has reopened all 42 of its Apple retail stores in China. link
- Test results in 2 hours: Cleveland’s MetroHealth Medical Center has developed a COVID-19 test that can now deliver results in just two hours, rather than in a matter of days. link
- South Korea’s dramatic drop in new cases: After its peak of 909 newly reported COVID-19 cases on February 29th, South Korea has now seen a dramatic drop in the number of new cases reported daily. link
- Mortality rates inflated? Experts predict that Italy has seen a higher mortality rate of COVID-19 given its significant aging population, as well as its higher percentage of COVID-19 patients with pre-existing health conditions. This might suggest that COVID-19’s fatality rate may have been slightly more inflated than previously thought for the general population. link
- Israeli vaccine development: More than 50 scientists in Israel are now working to develop a vaccine and antibody for COVID-19, having reported significant breakthroughs in understanding the biological mechanism and characteristics of the novel coronavirus. link
- ull recoveries: Three patients in Maryland who tested positive for COVID-19 have now been reported to have “fully recovered.” link
- Isolated virus: A network of Canadian scientists isolated the COVID-19 virus, which can now be replicated to test diagnostics, treatments, and vaccines. link
- Yet another vaccine in the works: San Diego biotech company Arcturus Therapeutics is developing a COVID-19 vaccine in collaboration with Duke University and National University of Singapore. link
- Treatment protocols: Seven patients who were treated for COVID-19 at Jaipur’s Sawai Man Singh (SFS) Hospital and Delhi’s Safdarjung Hospital in India have recovered. The treatment protocol will be widely scaled to other hospitals. link
- Another treatment: Plasma from newly recovered COVID-19 patients (involving the harvesting of virus-fighting antibodies) holds promise for treating others infected by the virus.link
We are also doing our part to help prevent the spread of this virus. Chemical Safety Software is offering, at no cost, our Global Safety Data Sheets (SDS) database, which now includes all the products that the US Environmental Protection Agency(EPA) has registered as disinfected products that work against the coronavirus. [link]
Some of COVID-19’s hardest hit nation victims are already emerging strong after peak infection, and biomedical innovators are tackling the virus at unprecedented speeds.
Wishing you the best. Remember that our most important tool during times of panic and crisis is our mindset.
A wise man once said something to me that I want to share with you. Click here.